Active Travel Grants up to £5000 from Havering Council
LB Havering Smarter Travel Business Grant Scheme
14 November 2022
If you are thinking of supporting your staff with facilities for more active travel, you could get financial support from Havering Council through their Smarter Travel Business Grant.
Using funding from Transport for London Havering Council is able to offer small grants of up to £5000 for measures such as:
- cycle parking,
- shower facilities,
- company bicycles
- or other active travel promotional events that will potentially assist staff in making an active travel choice.
Free cycle training is also available to anyone who works, lives or studies in the Borough by contacting www.cycleconfident.com
Guidance Document provided by Havering Council:
What is the Smarter Travel Business Grant Scheme?
The London Borough of Havering (LBH) Smarter Travel Programme is a behaviour change programme, funded by Transport for London, which aims to encourage residents, commuters and visitors to the borough to travel sustainably whenever possible.
What funding is available?
Maximum allocations are £5,000 Net (excluding VAT). There is no minimum allocation. All funding is from Transport for London.
Important - Please Note:
Funding must be used by and invoiced by 31 March 2023, please purchase the items once your grant has been approved and then your business will be refunded the amount of the grant award on supply of the relevant receipts and or invoices - up to the £5000 limit.
Who can apply?
We welcome applications from any local business, as long as projects deliver genuine ‘added value’ and do not replace services that should be provided through mainstream budgets.
What can we use the money for?
Your organisation’s project must aim to increase levels of walking or cycling in the borough. This could include cycle parking facilities, cycle pumps, shower facilities for cyclists to use, or walking route maps to show employees the benefits of walking to and from work. These are just a few examples, and please do not limit yourself to these. The Council will consider any project put forward for grant funding that aims to increase walking and/or cycling.
Cycle training to National Bikeability Standard is available free in Havering, please contact [email protected] for more details.
- The project must aim to increase levels of walking or cycling in the borough.
- The project must make it easier or more appealing for staff to travel sustainably (e.g. by providing cycle parking / shower facilities) or result in increased awareness of active travel options.
- The project must be based in the London Borough of Havering
- If funding is granted the project must be able to be completed by 31 March 2023 at the very latest.
- The grant cannot be used to pay for the time of the organisation’s staff/members to deliver the project.
- The organisation must have a constitution and have its own bank account to be able to apply.
The project will score more highly if:
- The project has secured (or is in the process of securing) match funding.
- The project represents long term value for money (proportionate to funds requested).
- The project will benefit a large number of people.
Please be as thorough as possible in your application and provide any information you feel is relevant. The above criteria will be used to assess all the applications.
When can we apply?
The application process is open now. The application deadline is 5pm Friday 2nd December 2022.
You may be contacted up to seven days after this deadline if we have questions about your application.
What happens if we are successful?
An inception meeting will be held with each of the successful organisations to agree milestones, outputs, ongoing monitoring and finalise the project before it formally commences and funding is released.
All of the spend must be accounted for via receipts and invoices.
The Council requires photographic evidence of any physical infrastructure that results from the grant award.
The project must be completed by 31 March 2023 at the very latest, including receipt of the final report and final invoice (with evidence of spend).
Monitoring and Reporting
Successful organisations will be required to provide regular updates and monitoring reports as the Council may require on the grant scheme.
Email your signed completed application form (along with a copy of your constitution or other governance arrangements) to: [email protected]
We strongly recommend that you discuss your project once you have planned it with us, we can help you through the application process or provide guidance. Please contact us by email at [email protected] or call us on 01708 432869.